You will need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 200-250g packet cooked beetroot
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and roughly chopped (rough chopping is optional)
- 1 lemon, finely grated – zest only
- 5 spring onions, finely chopped
- sour cream, to serve
How to do it…
Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan and then gently cook the onion for about five minutes until it has softened but not coloured. While the onion is cooking, cut the beetroot into very small cubes (about 0.5cm). Add the capers and lemon zest to the frying onions and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Gently cook until the beetroot is heated through then stir in the spring onion.
Really enjoy accompanying a fish dish – such as mackerel fishcakes, or better still a nice, rare rump steak.